TMV: Episode 26 – Army Life – Part 2
Welcome to part two of our series on Army Life. Having a spouse or parent in any branch of the military poses some unique challenges to a family. As a result, there are many broken families and broken marriages. Today, Karem Hernandez, army wife, and mother of two, joins us once again to continue our discussion on some of these challenges and how to overcome them. Through our discussion, Karem tells us about some great resources and organizations where military wives can find support. We also discuss how to integrate dad back into the family when he returns home after a long assignment, and how to keep him involved in the kids’ lives while he’s away. In the conversation, Karem shares the terrifying story of how her family survived Hurricane Maria while stationed in Puerto Rico. We also tell you about how you can enter an exciting visa gift card giveaway. For all this and more, tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- We start by recapping some of the important points made in Part One.
- Information on our giveaway: How military wives can win a visa gift card.
- Resources available to support military families including Child Youth Services.
- Karem shares her experience of being in Puerto Rico when Hurricane Maria hit.
- How the hurricane led her to get involved with the Family Readiness Group.
- Karem talks about bible studies for military wives.
- Her friendship with author Diana Juergens, which formed in a bible study.
- Her involvement with a group called Thrive.
- How COVID-19 has contributed to the problem of finding a church base in the area where you may be stationed.
- She talks about the impact of her army wife friend Sophie on her life.
- How Karem’s husband integrates back into the family when he returns home.
- How to keep dad involved in the kids’ lives when he’s away.
- How to cope with the ever-changing military schedule.
- The importance of focusing on the positive and framing the situation as a gift, and a calling.
- The importance of finding a church.
- The encouragement Karem found in Isaiah 42:16
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
The Mom Village Email
The Mom Village on Instagram
Kirra Kelly on Twitter
Jismarie Ramos on Twitter
Kristin Scroggins on Twitter
The Principle of the Path
U.S Army MWR: Child & Youth Services
U.S. Army OneSource
U.S. Army: Religious Services
Wife of a Soldier, a Journey of Faith
Covenant Love Church