TMV: Episode 55 – Jen Wilkin – Part 2
Today we continue with the second part of our two-part interview with author and bible teacher Jen Wilkin. In the first episode, we talked about Deuteronomy 6:7 where the Lord commands us to instruct our children in the way. In this episode, Jen explains how she became aware of the real dangers of false teaching and the vital importance of firsthand knowledge of the bible. She talks about what a bible literacy advocate is and why there is such a bible literacy crisis in the church today, before breaking down the methods she uses to read and understand the bible. Jen also talks about some of the most common problems with the way people misunderstand the bible and God, and she explains how some of her books have been written to address some of these challenges. Before closing, Jendrops a massive revelation about how the commandment to love your neighbor as you love yourself has impacted her mothering. For an inspiring and practical conversation that may very well change the way you read the bible and parent your kids, tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- The story about how Jen came to know the Lord as a child.
- How Jen became aware of the importance of firsthand knowledge of the bible as a young adult.
- The real dangers of false teaching and why bible literacy is so important to Jen.
- Jen’s thoughts on the ‘pink ghetto’ resources for women that are based on feelings and not thought.
- Where you should start if you’re trying to understand the bible.
- How Jen personally studies the scriptures for herself.
- What Jen means when she describes herself as a bible literacy advocate.
- Why there is a bible literacy crisis in the church today.
- Some of the most common problems with the way people misunderstand the bible.
- What Jen’s favorite writing assignment is to date: None Like Him.
- The important tool for bible literacy explained in Women of the Word.
- Value of studying the old testament, and how this helps us understand the friendship between law and grace.
- How the commandment to love your neighbor as you love yourself has impacted Jen’s mothering.
- How you can win one of Jen’s books
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: