TMV: Episode 27 – Pregnancy and Birth – Part 1
Please join us in welcoming certified nurse-midwife, Kathleen Philbin to part one of our discussion about pregnancy and birth! In addition to the more than 4,000 babies she has delivered in her career, Kathy also gave birth to five beautiful children of her own, so she has plenty of insight to share with us, not only from a professional perspective but her personal experience of motherhood too. We have an informal and educational discussion about the healthy choices all women should be making, regardless of whether or not they want to become mothers, and Kathy explains some of the responsibilities that midwives have over physicians and doulas. She also shares some of the most common questions she receives from new moms and shares her candid advice and her top do’s and don’ts for pregnancy and birth, so make sure to tune in today to learn more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- An introduction to today’s guest, Kathleen Philbin, midwife, wife, mother, and grandmother.
- Hear the story of how Kathy met her husband, who works alongside her at their practice.
- Learn about her professional background and how she got into labor and delivery.
- Kathy’s advice for women who are (and aren’t) looking to become mothers, starting with making healthy food choices.
- How often she recommends that women come to see her for checkups.
- The importance of drinking enough water and taking your daily vitamins, especially folic acid.
- Why getting enough sleep is crucial for your health; God designed our bodies to rest.
- How many babies Kathy has been involved in delivering since she started her career in 1998.
- Kathy dispels some misconceptions about midwives versus physicians.
- How doulas and midwives are different; a doula provides support rather than medical advice.
- Do’s and don’ts for pregnancy and birth: remember your body is a temple that God gave you!
- Common questions Kathy gets from new moms, including, “Where should I deliver?”
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Select Women’s Healthcare
Select Women’s Healthcare on Facebook
Select Women’s Healthcare on YouTube
The Mom Village Email
The Mom Village on Instagram
Kirra Kelly on Twitter
Jismarie Ramos on Twitter
Kristin Scroggins on Twitter